Monday, July 23, 2007

The Scottish White Stripes

The longer and further I am away from Scottish shores, the more patriotic I become. For instance, I've always been a fan of The Proclaimers, but recently I've taken foot stomping and hand clapping and jaw jutting to a whole new level when their music is playing - often with a tear in my eye.

Another favourite act has, for a long time, been The White Stripes. I'd loved their albums, but after seeing them live at The Greek Theatre, Berkeley, California, I realised just how bloody good they are.

I had noticed the use of bagpipes on their new album, Icky Thump, in particular Prickly Thorn, But Sweetly Worn but just learned of their overt Scottish roots from my friend's music blog - The Pop Cop.

And according to The White Stripes' website they just celebrated their "aluminum anniversary in Glace Bay, Nova Scotia. To further commemorate this occasion, the band have produced an array of specialty merchandise including traditional kilts, balmoral hats, kilt hose and flashes. These items are all hand made from the offical tartan of The White Stripes, available in both hunting and dress fabric."

Good god. Now the only question is: Can I wear The White Stripes tartan to my wife's brother's wedding?

No comments: