Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Trailer Mash


This is something I've dreamed about doing since I was a kid: cutting up classic movies and reimagining them. For a while I kept a list of great falls in movies. Off the top of my head I always remember Carrie telekinising the kid who name calls at her off his bike next to a tree. Then there was the trailer for the movie with all the Beatles covers for the soundtrack. It starred Sean Penn and was called I am Sam. I never saw it but have the soundtrack and remember the trailer because he does this hilarious slip and fall going down a hospital corridor. Anyway, it was my dream to splice together a montage of great slipps and falls in movies to some unforgettable piece of music. I never could fix on what should be played.

Anyway, this website called The Trailer Mash reimagines movies by making up a new trailer spliced together with other movies. I just watched The Shining reimagined as a romantic comedy. Next up is Lord of the Rings - Transformers.

2 comments:

David Anthony Durham said...

Was it really Sean Penn falling, or a talented stunt-guy? I wonder.

J, ever come across a Julio Cortazar story called "We Loved Glenda So Much"? I remember loving it. It's about fans of a certain star actress that - once she'd retired - begin to edit all her movies to perfection. They feel they've done their work until...

Well, anyway, it's a hell of story.

D.

James McLauchlan Johnston said...

David,

I haven't read the story, but it sounds like my cup of tea.

Currently reading 'Lynch on Lynch' which is just brilliant. Really infectious how into his art he is. I love Lynch's work. But I wouldn't dare re-edit it.

J.